How To Reshape Your Felt hat
There are only a few things in life that make us sad, and an out-of-shape felt hat is one of them.
Your Reckon hat is made with durable materials. However, shoving your hat into your suitcase as you rush out the door to the airport will not do your favourite felt hat any favours!
But have no fear - there are many great ways to reshape your felt hat at home. We love these DIY tricks to reshaping our felt hats as they take less than 5 minutes and can be done at home.
The Waterless Method for Reshaping a Hat
This method is great if your hat is misshapen at the crown. Felt is a great material to work with as it is minimally rumpled and is not easily damaged by water.
Please note that this technique is not suitable for any leather or suede hats!
- Push out any dents on the hats' crown and gently reshape any areas on the brim that have been crushed.
- Stuff the entire hat with tissue paper or old newspaper and set it aside on a flat surface in a cool, dry area.
- Monitor the hat daily, as the process can sometimes take up to 2 or 3 days for the crown to regain its original shape.
- Remove the tissue paper, towel, or ball once the hat regains its shape, put your hat on your head and head out the door looking extra good!
The Kettle & Steam Method for Reshaping a Felt Hat
If you don't have the luxury of having a steamer at home, then this one is for you! The same as ironing out wrinkles in clothes, steaming will remove any minor misshapes or dents in the brim of your hat.
- Put a tea kettle on to boil.
- Open the lid and keep the steam between 6 to 8 inches away to avoid burning yourself and damaging the hat.
- Steam the hat from the outside - steaming from the understand can damage the sweatband!
- Be sure to keep the steam away from the interchangeable leather straps to avoid damage.
- Choose the section you want to shape first and hold it over the steam from the hot water until the fabric softens. Reshape it with your fingers until you get the shape you're after.
- Once it's dry, your hat is ready to wear!